Tuesday, November 10, 2009

BEGINNINGS, PART 2


I always remember my father with a can of Rainier in his hand when he was mowing the lawn or working on a car engine or welding or working in the garage. I know that this is partly apocryphal because sometimes it was a can of Olympia or Budweiser, or even a bottle of Heineken, rather than a Rainier. But Rainier is the brand that is foremost in my memories of my dad drinking beer when I was a kid.

He seemed to really enjoy them, too.

---

Therefore, it seemed appropriate that Rainier would be the beer to christen this new venture.

---

Rainier Lager, a Light Lager (Standard American Lager) by Pabst Brewing Company.

12 ounce can served in a shaker glass.

The pour delivers a fizzy white head that dissipates quickly into a quarter finger deep skin. This is probably one of the most brilliant white heads I have ever seen on a beer. It is "squeaky clean" and rests upon a very clear pale yellow body that is filled with lively streams of carbonation. A few strands of lacing are left behind on each quaff.

The aroma is both grainy and lightly floral. The flavor delivers a mostly bland flavor with a wee bit of corn and a brief initial bite of grainy malt. There is also a light leafy flavor similar to licking a rhododendron leaf. This is a much less offensive lager than Budweiser or Coors or Miller Genuine Draft or many of the other macrobrews. The beer is light on the palate, not really engaging any part of the mouth.

There is neither nothing to particularly recommend nor to quarrel with. It simply is. It probably better resides in memories of it being in my father's hand on a hot summer day a few decades ago.

---

Visit the Rainier Beer website.

3 comments:

  1. I loved those Rainier beer commercials!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First thing I do when I get back in the Northwest is lick a rhododendron leaf! Beer in Vietnam is similar to Rainier, I think, so I'll have to do beer vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad used to drink Rainier Ale almost exclusively.

    ReplyDelete